Garcinia Cambogia and Apple Cider Vinegar diets were quite the bomb last year. Everybody was really excited to try them out and check their awesome benefits and possible results. Some assure that both diets work wonderfully and their weight loss was incredible. Some described them as not only sustainable but miraculous!
Nevertheless, lots of things can be said in the colossal amount of blogs and forums online. People can try almost everything in order to see if it works, therefore is absolutely valid to ask ourselves: How much of this information is actually true?
The Roulette of Diets
In the long way of getting the body and health condition we want, there are a lot of possible roads to take: diets and/or exercise with many possible outcomes. On one hand, we can succeed and find awesome plans adapted to us, achieving a significant improvement in our condition either by losing weight considerably or simply feeling better and healthier.
On the other hand, we might end up trying dangerous methods that can compromise our progress and ultimately our health. For this reason, we must stay careful with the things people recommend us to do.
It might be on the internet or people in real life. It might be just a neighbor, friend, colleague or you’re significant other.
Chances are if you are reading this that someone has already recommended you something you knew nothing about. Be cautious, information about diets are roulettes at times and you don’t need to risk yourself that much.
We recommend you to read what experts have to say.
Researching from good sources is step number one.
What is Garcinia Cambogia?
Known as the Malabar Tamarind, this exotic tropical fruit is native from Asia (mostly Indonesia), Australia, Africa and Polinesia. Its name comes from the French botanist, Laurent Garcin who described it for the first time. It comes from a tree that produces up to 7 seeds, grows strictly in the wild and varies its size from 4 to 6m of height, with medium-sized leaves. This tamarind It’s shaped like a pumpkin with shades between red and yellow and can be easily confused with “mangostan” (Garcinia Mangostana) another subspecies, member of the Garcinia family.
Recommended Dosage & Usage
It comes in several presentations such as direct consumption of the fruit, mixed supplements, natural capsules, pills and some talk about infusions. Doses vary from 250mg-1000mg daily with an empty stomach and sufficient water.
Main Components in Garcinia Cambogia
To talk about Garcinia Cambogia’s effects on human metabolism and weight loss, first, we need to list and review the active ingredients on its formula. On its natural form this fruit contains:
- Hydroxycitric acid:The core of this fruit is made, about 30 percent to be exact, of this citric acid’s derivate (present in citric such as lemons and oranges). This component is one of the ingredients in Indian curry and it’s thanks to it, that magic occurs. This acid has effects on our metabolism through different ways we’ll explain later on Garcinia Cambogia’s mechanism of action.
- Garcinol:This is a benzophenone first isolated from Garcinia indica, is a potent inhibitor of histone acetyltransferase, enzymes specialized into DNA’s chromatin manipulation and preservation. It seems that the inhibition of these enzymes produces problems on DNA repair and accelerates natural processes of cellular death. Therefore, studies are being conducted into understanding the full nature of this inhibition to use Garcinol as a radiosensitizer, enhancing the action of cancer treatments such as radiotherapy. It’s also a fine antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- Camboginol y cambogine: Its resin contains Camboginol y cambogine two chemical substances present in Goma Guta, a laxative.
Garcinia Cambogia: How does it work?
There are two main mechanisms of action which occur at the same time.
1) This fruit through its Hydroxycitric acid works its way on the metabolism of lipids and also in the Citric Acid Cycle (Krebs cycle). Extracts of Garcinia Cambogia inhibit the ATP-Citrate-Lyase, enzyme responsible for the conversion of carbohydrates into fat acids, cholesterol and triglycerides of support in the body. Processes such as lipogenesis are reduced and other anabolic cycles such as gluconeogenesis are increased, for this reason, some people assure to have a significant weight loss in a short amount of time, since it inhibits the normal production of fats and it increases the utilization of glycogen as a source of energy mainly for muscles. Nonetheless, it’s important to say that success in this mechanism of inhibition is 100% dependent on the food you consume with Garcinia.
It’s not as effective in people with low-fat diets and high consummation of carbohydrates.
2) Reduces the appetite (although this is not 100% present in all consumers) through interactions with the neuro-endocrine system, as it increases glycogen levels in the liver, sending signals of satiety and satisfaction with high liberation of serotonin, a neurotransmitter.
Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects
As a natural herb without stimulants and additional chemicals, it should be safe to use in a short or long-term basis.
However, as usual, there are always exceptions to the rule and here there are many things to consider. A meta-analysis study stated that users of Garcinia Cambogia are more likely to suffer from gastrointestinal side-effects thanks to some modification caused by HCA in the exchange of potassium in the intestine. Its use is contraindicated in patients with colitis and Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
Also, some physicians discuss the long-term effects it has on the liver. As a natural product insufficiently studied and analyzed its use could be dangerous for patients given the high doses recommended for its use and its way of metabolism. (700-1500 mg per day)
Pregnant women or in process of breastfeeding shouldn’t consume this natural product as they are more susceptible to any single product’s side effects. It hasn’t been studied if it can be transferred to the baby through placental circulation or secreted in breast milk. We also ignore if there are side effects for the fetus or infant, therefore it’s better to stay safe.
Usage of Garcinia has also been related to testicular affections and it’s contraindicated in diabetics without doctor’s full consent given the fact that it lowers substantially the levels of blood sugar and can interact with DM’s treatment drugs.
Other general side effects related or not to allergy and hyper sensibility may apply. Some of them are:
- Vomits, Nausea
- Xeroglosia or dry tongue.
Dr Oz Talks about Garcinia Cambogia
Garcinia Cambogia became famous when TV personality and public image, Dr Oz featured this fruit on his show, The Dr Oz Show, as the main component of a revolutionary weight loss supplement to burn fat fast and easily.
He created a sensation when interviewing a physician named Julie Chen to obtain more information about this brand new alternative to burn fats quickly by simply inhibiting its generation in the first place.
He mentioned its uses in gastronomy, its benefits indigestion and its long history in countries such as Indonesia.
During an interview, he asked “Approximately, what amount could a normal lady lose on weight, within a month??” and the interviewee replied that about ten pounds but remarked her preference for a healthy lifestyle, to enhance results with diet and exercise.
She also appointed the increase on the levels of serotonin and the decrease of the appetite which she considered as positive to continue following an exercise routine without overeating and happily burning more fats, while also developing more muscle.
This Dr. also remarked that her reasons to recommend this plant went beyond weight loss but the search for a healthier lifestyle as the plant had proven to reduce cholesterol, mainly LDL effectively.
After that, Dr Oz proceeded to explain on its most simple way the Garcinia Cambogia’s works describing it as a wonderful way to lose weight and a miraculous product to burn fat.
Subsequent investigation created controversy about Dr Oz show affirmations about the supplement while experts and people assured that it was NOT the incredible product that it had been shown on TV.
Even the presenter of this show, Dr Oz himself, had to eliminate the video from his main website and answer to some allegations against him made by the Senate, based on the fact that he had made medical/health statements with little to no relevant research and knowledge on the subject.
SCAM on Garcinia Cambogia Pills?
Added to the controversy, the scandal and contradicting statements from experts in medicine about the usage and efficacy of Garcinia Cambogia, an independent Lab, Consult Lab, whose website you can follow by www.consultlab.com affirmed that several supplements of Cambogia did not have the dose of the natural fruit as shown in the label. They insisted that doses were either too high or way too low.
These declarations were focused on HCA levels that needed to be in at least 50% of the original recipe for it to be effective. Reports online have shown that pills sold online in stores, only have a small fraction of the key plant ingredient and while the efficacy of the final product is still in discussion, it’s better to receive what you paid for.
In this entry we’ll leave you a couple brands from our sources, just in case you’d like to search for more. Puritan’s Pride and Vitamin Shoppe offer prices from $15-22 and they have passed tests proving that their product does in fact, have the necessary amount of Garcinia Cambogia.
Recommendations for Garcinia Cambogia Pills
- CHECK the label and content. Try to look for signals of manipulation and fake ingredients. Make sure the product has at least 50% of AHC.
- Check the product for other chemical compounds and stimulants, it’s a natural product it shouldn’t have them.
- Pills should always come in a natural capsule, no solutions, no tablets.
- Do NOT take more than 1000mg a day and try to use pills for a short term with the aid of exercise and lots of water (that in case you decide to take the risk.)
- -Make sure all the previous conditions are covered. Better to prevent than to lament for horrible results.
What is the Apple Cider Vinegar Diet?
First things first, there are some considerations you need to keep in mind in case you want to start an apple cider vinegar diet to lose weight.
First of all, you are not alone.
People have been using apple cider vinegar in their diets for many different purposes for thousands of years. It has a lot of proven health benefits such as lowering blood pressure, keeping sugar blood levels in line, and several other things.
Nevertheless, we are here to discuss it’s usage as a weight loss method. If it’s actually good to lose those extra pounds you don’t want in your body, so let’s begin.
First, let me tell you a bit more about what apple cider vinegar is.
Its production starts by cutting or crushing apples and combining them with yeast to turn its sugar into alcohol. Next step is leave, or add, acetic bacteria (Acinetobacter spp) to ferment alcohol and get acetic acid from it.
Traditional methods take up to one month, however some manufacturers use other faster methods to make the process shorter with barely a day of duration!
Acetic acid (Or ethanoic acid) is the main component of apple cider vinegar (around 5% of it) it has a strong odor and a sour taste. It can also contain water and other small quantities of other acids, like malic acid.
Apple Cider Vinegar Diet & Benefits
Acetic acid, in itself, has various benefits.
When it comes to fat loss, there are some animal studies that suggest, acetic acid may help with weight loss for its transformation into simple compounds such as hydrogen and acetate.
The acetic acid improved hepatic and muscular absorption of sugar in the blood, this was observed in studies with rats, where sugar levels decreased significantly.
That same study found that acetic acid also reduce the ratio of action of pancreatic hormones (insulin and glucagon) facillitating the process of burning fats and controlling levels of carbohydrates…
In other studies, treatment with acetic acid made the subjects resistant against weight gain and reduced belly fat storage. Also, other study discovered that acetate may suppress appetite, and another study in mice found an increase in the effectiveness of genes responsible for metabolizing and eliminating fats.
Of course, these are all animal studies and there’s still a lot of things that have to be studied in humans before we can jump to conclusions. Still, these are good indications that might be effective for weight loss so they can be easily discarded.
It’s important to let you know that there are studies in humans too. One of them highly suggested that combining apple cider vinegar with a high-carb meal could produce a 55% decrease in sugar levels in blood, a quick response seen after eating.
Also, those who consumed vinegar, probably ate a meal with fewer calories who got them satisfied and energetic for the rest of the day
Apple Cider Vinegar Side Effects
While this great diet works its magic and does amazing things for metabolism, human or animal, The Apple cider vinegar can also provide some great side effects such as
- Low stomach motility and slow stomach emptying.
- Chronic feeling of satiety that leads to skipping meals and bad nutrition.
- Gastroparesis: Specially on people with type 1 diabetes, comes with delayed stomach emptying. This makes difficult to predict how long it will take for blood sugar to rise and timing insulin with food intake becomes problematic
- Hepatotoxicity or Hepatic Damage if used in a long term basis, as almost all acids.
General symptoms associated or not to allergy or hyper sensibility.
Apple Cider Vinegar Recipes to Lose Weight
If you are one of those people who love to try new things and check things for themselves, here are some nice recipes you can try at home.
1. Fenugreek Seeds And Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds
Soak the fenugreek seeds overnight in a cup of water.
In the morning, add apple cider vinegar to the fenugreek water.
Stir well and drink.
Why Does it Work?
Fenugreek seeds are good metabolism boosters and make the body more sensitive to insulin. For that reason they make a great combination with apple cider vinegar when your main goal is to lose weight. Also, the taste of fenugreek seeds is useful to make the taste of the Apple Cider Vinegar a bit more tolerable.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar And Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon powder
Add cinnamon powder in to water and then boil it.
Let it cool. Add apple cider vinegar.
Stir well and drink.
Why Does it Work?
Apple Cider Vinegar is difficult to consume because of its unpleasant and strong taste. Combining it with cinnamon gives it a sweet and pleasant flavor. Also, cinnamon it’s good for reducing heart disease risk factors, lowers blood sugar levels, and it has a full set of health benefits that make it an important part of your diet
3. Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest 1
- teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs
- Salt to taste
- Toss all the ingredients into a glass jar.
- Give it a good shake.
- Drizzle it all over a healthy and crunchy salad.
Why Does it Work?
Instead of a regular salad dressing full of calories and sugar, you can eat this one, it’s light, delicious, good for your heart, and contains ACV that as you already know provides you with many benefits related to weight loss.
Final Statements: Theory vs Facts
While the list of benefits is long, it can be a bit difficult to distinguish what’s real and what’s not, over the almost magical properties of both diets and the huge popularity surrounding them.
To make sure that we are judging this properly and objectively, we must stay true to the facts using only scientific research and medical/serious reports as sources.
Then we’ll provide a closer verdict to relief those upsetting doubts you might be having such as this whole diets are just a big scam or not.
- Statement 1: They make us feel full.
Veredict: There are no conclusive proofs, it’s not constant on both diets. Although many people subjected to the diet has affirmed that this is actually true and there’s work about it, no conclusive results are available to say yes or not to these statements. Reactions may differ from one person to the other so we must be cautious and not believe everything we hear. It’s more possible on Apple Cider Vinegar diet though, since it has been proven that there’s an alteration on the activity and behavior of insuline and glucagon, still these studies have been coned mainly on rats, not humans.
Conclusion: In a more extensive point of view it does makes sense that it could make someone feel satisfied just as if that person had eaten any other fruit at the moment. Think about it, you feel satisfied and without hunger at the moment you finish something as simple as an apple or an orange. It’s not so crazy to believe
- Statement 2: They’re a huge weight loss method.
Answer: Tending to be false. While there are proven results that show weight loss and decrease on the levels of cholesterol available, most studies were ran on rats and some even mix Garcinia Cambogia with Garcinia Indica, another member of the family. Opinions and points of view are too mixed and subjected to interpretation so we think it might be possible but just not in the way it has been sold so far.
Conclusion: More studies need to be done.
It would be interesting and perhaps, more useful, to establish a risk/benefit scale to see if the fruit supplement is actually worth it.
- Statement 3: They Improve our basic general and metabolic performance in exercise.
Final word: Most likely true. There’s evidence for this. For instance, it has been shown that Garcinia Cambogia improves certain aspects of metabolism, working its way through anabolic and catabolic processes while also increasing serotonin levels, therefore creating that sensation of satisfaction necessary to perform well on exercise.
Conclusion: More than a fat burning system and standalone diet product it could be used for short periods of time as an enhancer.
Final conclusion to you: Dear reader, in the end the final choice remains as solely yours. Investigate from reliable sources to stay safe from scams and false prophecies.
The truth is out there, all you need to do is open your eyes and look for it.